had have a LOT of weight to lose so by doing exercise daily, eating healthy and cutting out alcohol the weight is dropping pretty steadily. Which is great! I know, however, I will hit a point where it will not be just about improving all of my choices but also about increasing my workouts and switching up my eating. Having the benchmarks set by dietbet has also been a great motivator for me-I DON”T WANT TO LOSE a challenge!!
21 day fix works for my little brain! Having only 3 weeks to commit to is good for me…mostly. The last few days I’ve eaten junk and literally watched the scale climb but I’m more mentally prepared for this next round of 21 day fix than I was for the last 🙂
Keeps it simple!
I use stars and their progress or what they strive for constantly as my inspiration but today, Hannah is my inspiration. She is a real girl who doesn’t have a trainer or a nutritionist working with her all of the time, just a DVD workout. Les Mills Pump is a workout that has been in gyms for years as Bodypump but has recently been released on DVD so that I can choose WHEN I’m doing the workout!
I always LOVED Chili’s Southwest Egg Rolls but knew they were not a healthy choice so I was determined to come up with a recipe for home that would be better for me! They are still not the healthiest Superbowl snack but they are delicious!
I didn’t take a picture of the ones I made so here’s a picture of Chili’s style Southwest Egg Rolls.
Beans, black, .5 cup
Sweet Corn, Fresh, .5 cup
Cotija Cheese, 2.3 oz
Sargento Reduced Fat Mexican Blend Cheese, 0.25 cup
Jennie-O Turkey Store Taco Seasoned Lean Ground Turkey, 8 oz
Chorizo, pork and beef, 1 oz
Onions, raw, .3 cup, chopped
Olive Oil, 2.5 tbsp
Egg Roll Skin (1 wrapper = 32 grams), 9 serving
Soak beans over night and then simmer for 1.5 hours. Season with salt & pepper. Cook turkey, chorizo, onion, and garlic until meat is browned. Add corn and beans. Sprinkle cheses in egg roll wrapper. Place 1/8 cup of filling in each wrapper. Roll. Allow oil to get hot. Fry on each side for approximately 30 seconds. Let drain on a paper towel. I used a salsa to dip and they were fantastic.
Number of Servings: 9
I love chili! You can make it so many different ways and it’s delicious and can be great for you packing in protein and veggies all at once!
Turkey Beer Quinoa Chili!
Minutes to Prepare: 25
Minutes to Cook: 360
Number of Servings: 16
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 4 cup, chopped or sliced
Pepper, red or cayenne, 4 tbsp
Paprika, 2 tbsp
Oregano, ground, 4 tbsp
Spinach, frozen, 1 package (10 oz)
Ancient Harvest Traditional Whole Grain Quinoa,.25 cup dry,
Beer, Samuel Adams, Holiday Porter, 12 oz
Yellow Sweet Corn, Canned, 2 cup
Garlic, 3 cloves
Turkey, Ground turkey, 93% lean, 32 oz
Red Kidney Beans, 2 cans
Mushrooms, fresh, 4 cup, slices
Onions, raw, 3 cup, chopped
Jalapeno Peppers, 4 peppers sliced
Green Peppers (bell peppers), 1 cup, strips
Peppers, sweet, red, fresh, 1 cup, chopped
Add meat to the crockpot
1st then add all of the other ingredients so they blend into the meat. I cook it on high for 1 hour and then stir everything together. I leave it on high for one more hour and then set to low for 4 hours.
Nachos, loaded with veggies and beans using baked tortilla chips can be a great option for a Superbowl party snack! I add chopped onions, peppers, garlic, and tomatoes to this recipe when I make nachos at home and they’re awesome!
TWO-WAY Nachos from http://www.familycircle.com/recipes/healthy-eating/family-dinners/healthy-super-bowl-recipes/?page=5
- 6 ounces baked tortilla chips
- 2 8 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup jarred salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1/2 pound coarsely chopped cooked shrimp
- 1 8 ounce can drained crushed pineapple.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with tortilla chips. Scatter chicken and beans over the chips. Spoon salsa over the beans and top with cheese and scallions.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
3. Replace chicken and beans with 1/2 pound coarsely chopped cooked shrimp and 1 can (8 ounces) drained crushed pineapple.
I love dips when snacking but it is hard to find a dip that is delicious AND not too bad for you! Add this to your Superbowl spread with veggies and pretzels : )
Sun-Dried Tomato and Chili Walnut Layered Dip
Original recipe from my health blog http://www.healthfulpursuit.com
Combines soft tastes of lemon with sun-dried tomato and a hint of chili. Whether you’re enjoying game night with your family, or preparing for lunches for the week, this layered dip is a perfect healthful way to increase your daily fiber and protein. Best part: no one will even suspect it’s good for them!
Sun-dried tomato dip
* 1 clove garlic, chopped
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 1 tbsp coconut oil
* 1/3 cup lemon juice
* 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
* 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in 1/2 cup water for 20 minutes
* 6-8 tbsp reserved sun dried tomato water
* 1/2 cup red kidney beans
* 1/2 tsp herbamare
* 1/4 tsp dried oregano
* pinch dried basil
Chili walnut dip
* 2 tbsp braggs liquid aminos
* 1 cup kidney beans
* 1/2 cup walnuts, raw
* 1/2 tsp chili pepper
* 2-4 tbsp water
+ 2 handfuls of spinach, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Spread pine nuts evenly across sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before using.
- Melt coconut oil in small frying pan on medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and saute until translucent. Drop into blender.
- Add sun-dried tomato ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. You may have to add an additional 2 tbsp of the sun-dried tomato water, depending on its thickness. I used 8 tbsp. Once mixture is smooth, set aside.
- To make the chili walnut dip, process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- In a glass bowl, layer half of the sun dried tomato dip, followed with all of the chili dip, then spinach, and lastly another layer of sun-dried tomato.
- Serve with chips, crackers, or veggies.