I always LOVED Chili’s Southwest Egg Rolls but knew they were not a healthy choice so I was determined to come up with a recipe for home that would be better for me! They are still not the healthiest Superbowl snack but they are delicious!
I didn’t take a picture of the ones I made so here’s a picture of Chili’s style Southwest Egg Rolls.
Beans, black, .5 cup
Sweet Corn, Fresh, .5 cup
Cotija Cheese, 2.3 oz
Sargento Reduced Fat Mexican Blend Cheese, 0.25 cup
Jennie-O Turkey Store Taco Seasoned Lean Ground Turkey, 8 oz
Chorizo, pork and beef, 1 oz
Onions, raw, .3 cup, chopped
Olive Oil, 2.5 tbsp
Egg Roll Skin (1 wrapper = 32 grams), 9 serving
Soak beans over night and then simmer for 1.5 hours. Season with salt & pepper. Cook turkey, chorizo, onion, and garlic until meat is browned. Add corn and beans. Sprinkle cheses in egg roll wrapper. Place 1/8 cup of filling in each wrapper. Roll. Allow oil to get hot. Fry on each side for approximately 30 seconds. Let drain on a paper towel. I used a salsa to dip and they were fantastic.
Number of Servings: 9
Nachos, loaded with veggies and beans using baked tortilla chips can be a great option for a Superbowl party snack! I add chopped onions, peppers, garlic, and tomatoes to this recipe when I make nachos at home and they’re awesome!
TWO-WAY Nachos from http://www.familycircle.com/recipes/healthy-eating/family-dinners/healthy-super-bowl-recipes/?page=5
- 6 ounces baked tortilla chips
- 2 8 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup jarred salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1/2 pound coarsely chopped cooked shrimp
- 1 8 ounce can drained crushed pineapple.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with tortilla chips. Scatter chicken and beans over the chips. Spoon salsa over the beans and top with cheese and scallions.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
3. Replace chicken and beans with 1/2 pound coarsely chopped cooked shrimp and 1 can (8 ounces) drained crushed pineapple.